Friday, October 21, 2011

MMO Game Companies Cutting Back

MMO Game Companies Cutting Back

With the recent annoucement of CCP reducing their staff by 20%, a question comes to mind. Is the MMO gaming Industry now seeing the wrath of the economy having issues or is the MMO gaming industry starting to see the issues of a flooded market?

Now when I start thinking about this question I know a lot of people are going to jump right onto the Economy side of the question which I could understand since a lot of companies are taking the hit from this. Now I want to look at the other side of this question, is the MMO gaming industry starting to see the issues of a flooded market? I feel both are hitting them. If you take a look at any MMO site and look at the game list, Notice how many games popped up during 2006 and 2007. I feel this was the time that MMO's started seeing an increase to player base. And at this time A lot of games were trying to mirror the biggest game out there and that was World of Warcraft.

Once Burning Crusade was released a lot of companies thought they could produce the same results as Blizzard did. And we seen that they were not. And at the same time World of Warcraft just kept growing. WOW has maintained growing up until Cataclysm and that I believe was the breaking point for Blizzard.

Now look at the other titles. Everquest II did ok for several years and was able to produce alot of content for the last 8 years. However they had been losing alot of player base in the last few years along with SWG and Everquest. SOE as a company was hurting to the point of letting 205 jobs off back in April and cancelling a MMO in production (The Agency).

Warhammer online is another example of a MMO that had big hype and failed due to not performing to their customers standards. Dont get me wrong it was a fun game but a lot of player base felt it lacked. Warhammer online with EA cut 60 - 130 jobs company wide.

Lets look at so many games going F2P to just try keeping the title alive and noticing that they may actually make more money this route. I guess why not go F2P instead of P2P. Well I feel a lot of your player base in the NA markets have not accepted F2P games. I know they are growing everyday but if you look at the number of people that are dedicated to 1 game, its normally P2P. And I think that is b/c they have a fear of micro transactions or they dont feel they are playing the whole game or if they pay $15 a month then it kind of forces them to play.

So is the MMO gaming Industry now seeing the wrath of the economy having issues or is the MMO gaming industry starting to see the issues of a flooded market? I feel both are hitting them but it depends on the company. World of Warcraft I feel some is due to both. But i think alittle more on the economy side and boredom. Now looking at the other big titles like EQ 2, LOTRO and FFXI I feel the MMO flooding hits them a little harder then the ecomony side of the questions. 2 out of the 3 went F2P just to try saving the title. I also feel that a lot of the games that flooded the market were not fully ready to hit the market which gave a lot of titles that should have been big titles just become a thing of the past.
Please comment below and let me know what you think of this and let me know if you agree with me or not. Take it easy Gamers.

Abbner
crazyonlinegamerz.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. https://pingtestlive.com/fortnite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. animeonline.la

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Agen DominoQQ Online

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! https://totalsportek.news/mlb-streams/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. coin master hack

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. click here

    ReplyDelete
  7. The content is utmost interesting! I have completely enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great, and your efforts are outstanding! android games hack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. Online games

    ReplyDelete